Actually, I agree with Alexander ,
And, the definition of : Understanding of the Environment (World, Self, etc) Concept - as Intelligence.
I think Intelligence sums up to Understanding and Awareness, and Capabilites, a Singularity with the Applicable World and the Ability to apply it ...
The 'need' or 'not smart enough' perspectives is just the path for getting there ... that you might call Curiosity as 'Need' , while Ignorance as 'Not smart enough' / Not Intelligence.
- I think many people 'don't know what they are doing' - and are going NoWhere.
Examples being: 'chosen Ignorance' of those who try to judge - but actually so can not - because of the ignorance 'lack of knowledge'.
While 'Intelligence' - gives the Capability to Understand particular Perspective - and so can also Judge it.
How can Intelligence in 'basket weaving' - give the capability of judging 'nuclear engineering'
- obviously it can not - ! - No Understanding / Perspective / Capabilities ... so can not Work with - so can Not Judge ...
Without Learning - you can not get to capablilities and so Intelligence ...
I say this with reference to my Perspectives in my own AI Work.
-> I think Intelligence is best defined as 'Working Knowledge',
- while 'Learning' is best defined as 'Trying / working to get there' ...
Maybe 'Learning' is the Concept that you are trying to define ...
Another way of looking at it - via Definition :
- 'Intelligence' - is a static Adjective - a State of Capabilities.
- 'Not smart enough' - is a deadend state Adjective - of Not being capable.
- 'Need' - is a Target state to Work towards.
- 'Learning' - is an active 'Verbal' action - Working (Building Intelligence) to get to a Target.